[T3] A new T-34 owner?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 19 20:05:32 PDT 2011

On 19 Jun 2011 at 21:59, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> I just tell people it's a German Corvair. ;^)

That's really quite close. ;-)

Both were designed by Ghia in about the same era. Chevy just came out
with theirs a bit earlier: MY 60 in the fall of '59. When did the
first Type 34s come out?

My dad bought a '60 Corvair on the very first day they went on sale.
It was a great car. I learned to drive in it, and we both drove it
for 10 years.

The Type 34 is prettier than the Corvair, but Volvo takes the prize,
for me at least, with the P1800 wagon, which was also a Ghia design,
and I don't think that's just because I'm partial to wagons. Can you
imagine what a Type 3 Ghia wagon could have looked like? Wow!

I think the standard Type 34 is actually prettier than the standard
P1800, but once again I can be accused of bias.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org