[T3] A new T-34 owner?

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Mon Jun 20 07:05:38 PDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2011 10:06 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] A new T-34 owner?

On 19 Jun 2011 at 21:59, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> I just tell people it's a German Corvair. ;^)

That's really quite close. ;-)

Both were designed by Ghia in about the same era. Chevy just came out
with theirs a bit earlier: MY 60 in the fall of '59. When did the
first Type 34s come out?

My dad bought a '60 Corvair on the very first day they went on sale.
It was a great car. I learned to drive in it, and we both drove it
for 10 years.

The Type 34 is prettier than the Corvair, but Volvo takes the prize,
for me at least, with the P1800 wagon, which was also a Ghia design,
and I don't think that's just because I'm partial to wagons. Can you
imagine what a Type 3 Ghia wagon could have looked like? Wow!

I think the standard Type 34 is actually prettier than the standard
P1800, but once again I can be accused of bias.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

The rednecks around here back in the 70s and early 80s would love to put
Corvair engines in cut down and Baja bugs. They was a vw mechanic that done
the conversion all the time back when Corvairs were plentiful. The most
memorable one he done was putting one of those engine in a late 60s
Squareback for a deer hunter when I was in JR high school. They had trimmed
the finder wells for bigger tires. They had made some kind of make shift
engine cover (although it wasn't much higher than the original one). Wish I
could remember more about it but that was 30 years ago. LOL I do remember it
had enough power to pull the front wheels off the ground and would give some
V-8 a run for their money.

Dennis Stiefel
Rainsville,AL,USA

believed to be clean.