[T3] Noise from the right side cylinder head.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jun 24 20:10:37 PDT 2011

On 24 Jun 2011 at 10:25, Alex Satala wrote:

> yet another update , finally the oil seems to get to the right side
> too , or so dad says. The engine works like a charm , spinning wheels
> on the ground . Its still under observation. One more question about the
> engine: At what temperature is the engine block supposed to operate?

I think the thermostats are supposed to open when the air temp is
around 165F, but that's just the temp of the exiting cooling air.
Different parts of the engine will be at different temps. The heads
will be the hottest and the case is probably the coolest.

In general, you don't want to see the oil temp in the sump go over
212 F. Under 200 is good.

Did you do something to get oil to the right side? Did this quiet the
right side down?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org