[T3] injector

jadney at vwtype3.org jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jun 29 08:28:23 PDT 2011

> It blew out, and the car started leaking gas.  Coming from the injector
> area. THe hoses are as tight as they will go.  If I am to replace these
small lines is there a special tube I should use?  Is this the best
thing
> to do first?

The hose sold as FI hose these days is rated for today's higher pressure
FI systems, which run 3-4 times as much pressure as our systems. For our
systems, standard 5/16" gasoline hose is perfectly adequate. I've not been
happy with the fabric covered european hose like our cars originally came
with. The quality just doesn't seem very good and it doesn't last long,
plus the sizes most commonly available (7 mm & 7.5 mm) are just a bit too
small. It fails from being over stretched at the fittings.

I have good quality 5/16" hose that works very well in this application.

> If when the engine is running, I can see fuel spraying near the hose, is
> there a way to tell if it is the hose or the injector itself?

It's usually the hose, but in 40 years, I've seen 1 injector that was
actually leaking.

> Also,
> I have pulled the small hose clamps from the yellow plastic part that
> seemed to be leaking...but
> how does one go about removing the small piece of tube that goes into the
> injector?
> Do I just turn it?  Use pliers?  Pull?

The OE injectors came with crimp ferrules there, but it sounds like your
crimped on hoses have already been replaced once. If there was a clamp
there that you've already removed, then all you have to do is twist and
pull. If the factory crimp ferrule is still there, then you have to cut it
off, one way or another. Just be CAREFUL not to cut thru the hose wall and
into the nipple underneath. If you cut into the nipple, you will probably
create a leak that you can't repair.

If you're trying to remove OE crimp ferrules, it's best to pull the
injectors out to do it.

Once the old hose is off, you can replace it and use whatever kind of hose
clamps you like. The worm gear hose clamps will be fine as long as you
don't overtighten them. They should be snug but NOT tight. At our
pressure, tight is not necessary. Good hose will actually seal at our
pressure with no clamp at all, but the clamp is necessary to make sure the
hose doesn't fall off from engine vibration.