[T3] CV concave washer

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 1 06:15:47 PDT 2011

On 31 Aug 2011 at 22:04, Bryon Garvin wrote:

> Ok, so I'm reassembling my CV joints (finally) and I thought I had it
> figured out....but what Brent said about the cage being machined on one side
> and putting that side toward the axle seems to be in disagreement with my
> notes when I took it apart.  I'm not saying you're wrong Brent....I just
> want to be clear :)   I think I probably took bad notes, but just to be
> certain....here's the 2 surfaces of the ball cage:
>
> Grooved:
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/f6jGJgD88B6MsXekgAK1Of9-o0EMtv6MFzhPsVRph6Y?feat=directlink
> Machined Flat:
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SKW03NpZfD3jWW0r2AI_eP9-o0EMtv6MFzhPsVRph6Y?feat=directlink

I don't think it matters which way the ball cage faces.

The bevel on the ID of the inner race faces the axle; this helps with
assembly. The outer race has different diameters on different sides,
so you have to assemble it such that the side that faces the flange
it mates to will actually fit that flange.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org