[T3] Parting out front axle and rear subframe!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Sep 7 12:30:38 PDT 2011

I'm in the process of parting out a front axle beam and a rear
subframe. Both are from a '72 squareback.

I just finished cutting up the front beam with a cutting torch, into
pieces small enough to take to work and bandsaw into smaller pieces
so I can extract the bearings. The upper torsion arms are sold, as
are some of the upper bearings, etc, but the lower arms and bearings
are still here, assuming I can get them out without damage. I've made
tooling that should make that possible.

The late steering knuckles are also available, but the backing plates
are toast. If someone wants them, let me know.

The rear subframe is still intact, but I'm having trouble getting the
torsion bars out. I lifted the spring plate just enough to get it off
the stop, but I don't seem to be able to apply enough force to pull
the spring plate off the torsion bar. It seems like it's really stuck
on there. Since this is from a squareback, I'm guessing there's more
torque dialed into these than on the other models.

Anyone got any hints about how to make this easier?

I've got the stub axles out of the diagonal arms and have all the
bearings and parts if anyone needs them. I'll also try to get the
diagonal arms, so speak up if you want them.

If I don't get any response, and can't get the spring plates loose,
I'm afraid this whole subframe will have to go to the recyclers. It's
just been sitting in my yard too long.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org