[T3] Speedometer/Odometer ratio?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Feb 10 07:13:01 PST 2012

Okay, a little work with Google, and I found the answer.

First, I was wrong about US cars using a standard 100 rev/mile, it is
1000 rev/mile, and it's not particularly standard anymore.

For VDO, the ratio is the number of revs/mile divided by 1000. So for
our speedos, W0.82 means that our speedos expect the speedometer
cable to turn 820 revs per mile. So this was really quite
straightforward.

I checked my German/English distionary to see if "ratio" translates
into a German word beginning with W. It comes out as Verhaltnis,
which is close, but no cigar. It's possible, however, that there's a
more appropriate German word that does begin with W.

Any German speakers out there?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org