[T3] no start -- but just drove it!

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Feb 12 07:23:37 PST 2012

In a message dated 2/11/2012 8:42:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
spinningrooves at gmail.com writes:

Ok.  Starter turned that time.  However I couldn't start the  car.  I have
Jim's fuel pump primer.  I ran that for 30 seconds  and tried a couple
times.  No luck.  Then it occurred to me that  this method would not let the
starter ever stop until I took the
lead  off the + battery post.  So, I turned the key as if I was starting  it
put the cable to the post and let it turn.  When it sounded like it  was
going to turn over on its own, I took the cable off the post and  released
the key from "start" to "on".  But still no luck.  I  didn't want to ruin
anything so I stopped and thought I'd ask what to do  next?

How about just turning the key to "on", then touching the wire to the
battery + post. Does the car start then? If so, then your issue is in the
switch. I only say that, because when this issue started, you said you push
started the car and drove home. This told us that "at the time" you had 12
volts for ignition, and now it's sounding like you don't. Let us know what you
find. By the way you need at least 8.5 volts just to run the starter.

64 T-34 Ghia (Wolfie)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120