[T3] no start -- but just drove it!

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 14 20:43:19 PST 2012

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I.- Located in Coastal San Diego County
Student, A.S.U. Tempe, AZ

> From: Bobsnotch at aol.com
> Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:51:47 -0500
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] no start -- but just drove it!
>

> In a message dated 2/12/2012 3:29:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> spinningrooves at gmail.com writes:
>
> Answered my own question. Used a meter and found terminals to be common.
> Car starts and runs.
>
> Sorry about the silly goose chase. That 3rd wire threw me.
>

> Congratulations on fixing it. The "3rd wire" would go to a terminal spade
> on the starter battery + terminal. That terminal might not be there any more
> IF the starter or the cable (or both) have been replaced. If this is your
> case, just loop the wire up and away from everything and disregard it.
> Early 71's and those cars built prior didn't get the diagnostic port (it was a
> mid 71 addition). You won't miss it. ;-)

Does this apply to the wire going to the E.C.U.? My wire going from starter to F.I.
harness is missing, and one of the things I have not gotten around to it. It starts
right up despite the fuel pump running. But, if no spade to put it on, might just
forget it, as I also need to put in a primer switch. I could just use the primer
while cranking cold. Both due to shortage of wire at the local electronics shop.
Need to find another source.

Thank you,
Adriel

P.S. August 1970 build, so no diagnostics, thank goodness.