[T3] Engine production numbers was Weird Idle Dips

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Mar 4 20:21:00 PST 2012

On 4 Mar 2012 at 13:19, Dave Hall wrote:

> Looking at the 1500 engine numbers you can see a bulge around '63/'64 that
> exceeds by a large margin the number of Type 3 chassis made - that was when
> they put the 1500 engine in some buses, but most had the 1200cc.  I guess
> some of the extra production was for stationery engines for pumps,
> generators etc too.

Interesting, I never noticed that. Were there Type 34s then?

> Oddly, the numbers of chassis built in the '68 model year seems to exceed
> the engines by around 15,000 - what's that all about?

Starting in '66, the microfilm gives the ending chassis # for each
year as 500,000. Since it's such a round number and always the same
number, I've always assumed that it was just a dummy number. It's
especially odd given the fact that they show exact numbers for each
of the earlier years. You must have a better source for yearend
chassis numbers. How many Type 3s do you show for '68 and where do
your numbers come from?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org