[T3] Cleaning brake lines

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Mar 14 07:01:44 PDT 2012

On 14 Mar 2012 at 8:24, Joe Plowick III wrote:

> Has anyone ever attempted to clean their existing brake hard lines?  Is
> there something that I can use to clean the gunk from the lines and remove
> some of the rust on the threads without harming the metal?  I'm mostly
> concerned with the small lines, not the main central tunnel line.  I've
> considered getting new lines, but I'm not very confident in my ability to
> bend the new lines properly and would like to eliminate any excess costs in
> getting the car back on the road.  The lines look okay, just the threads
> and ends are in rough shape.

I've never worried about the threads. If they will screw into their
fittings they will be fine. The only ones to actually worry about are
the rear hard lines. On the early IRS years, VW clipped them down
against the diagonal arms. They collect dirt there and that collects
water, which will cause them to eventually rust thru. On later years,
the diagonal arms still had the clips, but the lines were run just
above them, leaving enough clearance that dirt didn't collect. Those
lines, like the front ones, seem to last forever.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org