[T3] Cleaning brake lines

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 08:01:49 PDT 2012

A fine wire brush, manually or maybe use a Dremel attachment, will probably
clean things up reasonably well, followed by some chemical rust treatment to
kill off some of the rest.  Grease or chassis wax wiped onto them is better
than paint.

I've not found particular trouble bending new lines to match the old. I've
used mostly bits of my body to bend them round - thigh for large bends, shin
for tighter, beer-bottle neck maybe for short tight bends - take it out of
your mouth first though!

Some old lines have a nickel plating and plastic coating on, and they tend
to look awfully corroded because moisture gets under the coating.

You will probably find when removing old lines that the end in the union
will be sealed to the union nut with rust, and you'll destroy the line
anyway.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club