[T3] Brakes (was Leak under front driver side)

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 15:21:36 PDT 2013

I will preface this post by saying that I was warned about this ...

I am flushing my system to get rid of the 8 year old DOT 3.  Following the
Bentley procedure, I drained the fluid out through the rear drums first.
No problem (which surprised me seeing how much rust was there -- everything
appeared to be one solid piece of rust).  Now onto the fronts.  The front
driver side caliper had 2 bleeders -- an upper and a lower.  The lower was
lacking the rubber plug on the end.  I tried to turn it, but it was covered
in rust.  I shot it with some penetrating oil and let it sit.  About 10
minutes later, I tried again.  As it started to turn, it all of a sudden
broke loose -- breaking off the valve into the caliper housing.  Doh!  It
didn't even spin because at no point through the rest of the process did
fluid even trickle out of that valve.

On the passenger side, that caliper only had 1 bleeder.  It also lacked a
rubber plug, but I was able to turn it without breaking it.  I understand
that my car should have both an upper and a lower bleeder.  All the DOT 3
is now out.  Before I begin to refill, on to the questions:

(1) Where's the best place to get a replacement caliper for my driver's
side?

(2) Should I replace the passenger side caliper as well since it does not
appear to be the correct part (only 1 bleeder)?

(3) Are the front rubber hoses readily available that I should just go
ahead and replace these while I'm under there?

(4) Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thank you,

Jacob