[T3] Pictures of my engine rebuild to date

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 09:08:33 PST 2014

> Nice photos. The heads look pretty decent and it looks like you even
> found a good extra pair of the correct '72-3 heads. Are you doing all
> this work yourself? I see valve guides being removed and a head
> machine in the back ground. And con rod reconditioning.
>
> Or did you find a mechanic who was willing to let you take photos
> along the way?

You are correct that I was able to find a correct pair of '72-73 heads.  I
actually have two more sets of these.  One of them had previously been
reconditioned by GEX.  They came on a junk yard engine I bought.  Once I
get my new engine in my car (to confirm everything is good), I'll be
willing to sell my '72-73 heads because I no longer need all the extra
parts.

I found a mechanic who took the pictures himself along the way.  The guy I
used was Ray Vallero in Auburn, CA (http://www.valleros.com/default.asp).
I got his name from this list and had seen his name on the samba.  I was
really impressed with all my interactions with him, and I'm sure I will be
impressed once I fire up the new engine.  From my understanding, he used to
build engines for VW and has been on the air-cooled VW/Porsche scene for
some time.

I can also see the telltale outline of Beetle intake manifold gaskets
> on the heads. Make sure you get the proper Type 3 FI gaskets for
> there. They're hard to find new, so I hope you saved your old ones.

I do have the correct FI gaskets for the intakes.  IIRC, I got mine from
you a few months back.  So I am covered on that front.  The exhaust gaskets
are the same as the Type 1, correct?

> I like the big washer-faced nuts you found for the large case studs.

Thank you, although I can't take the credit for this.  This was my Ray's
doing.

> BTW, in the photos of the engine before the rebuild, there's at least
> one air hose out of place: The one that almost connects to the air
> cleaner at 7 o'clock does not go there. That port on the air cleaner
> connects to the aux air regulator. The port on the air elbow should
> run to the charcoal cannister above the tranny.

Oops.  That is how it was always connected on my car from when I got it
from the PO.  When I get the engine back in I will be sure to consult the
manual and this list so that I get everything hooked up the right way.
Nice catch, by the way.  Now I know not to rely on this picture to re-route
my hoses.