[T3] Pictures of my engine rebuild to date

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 07:12:08 PST 2014

> > Also, the hoses on my charcoal filter are shot.  Should I replace them or
> > just "cut out" the charcoal filter and run the port on the air elbow
> > straight to the air cleaner?  I have no reason to doubt the integrity of
> > my
> > charcoal filter, aside from its age, as my car is pretty clean and has
> > spent more than half of its life garaged.
>
> The thing to look at is the steel line that runs from the overflow tank
> under the LF fender. That is what carries fumes from the gas tank back to
> the charcoal cannister. That line is almost always clogged with internal
> rust by now, making the evap system non functional. You can check it by
> trying to blow in the hose at the tank end. If it's open, replace your old
> hoses; if it's blocked, remove those hoses and cap the ports on the fresh
> air elbow and the AC.

Great, thank you.  I had forgotten that the charcoal filter was connected
(indirectly) to the fuel tank.  Those steel lines on my car are still clear
and (at least on the outside) appear pristine.  I checked them (by blowing
air through them) when I replaced all my fuel lines last year and had the
tank out--so it looks like I'll replace those hoses on the charcoal
filter.