[T3] Emergency Supplies Checklist

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Feb 16 06:47:10 PST 2014

In a message dated 2/16/2014 3:55:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jazfloyd at gmail.com writes:

I was wondering which parts I should keep on hand during long  drives,
especially with the Invasion coming up this summer.  I was  planning on packing
an extra fan belt/bulbs/fuses/kitty litter(for any  possibility of getting
stuck in mud).  Anything else I should bring  along just in case?

I wouldn't ask Keith this question, as he'd tell you to pack a  spare car
into your car. ;-)

But the extra belt, bulbs, fuses, and ignition spares are always a  good
thing to carry. Add in some hose (with clamps) that your car uses, a long
length of wire, some mechanics wire, and tools wouldn't hurt either.
For long trips, I carry a gasket set, tune up parts (plugs, points  and
condenser), along with a section of hose, some wire, and anything I think  I
might need to fix the car along side the road (mainly to get it to a safer
place to really work on it). I'll also carry a set of brushes for the
generator, and maybe even a spare voltage regulator (I'm still using the old  style
non-solid state version). When I used a mechanical fuel pump, I used to
carry 1 of those too, but I've since switched to electric, and don't carry the
 spare anymore. I also carry 3 or 4 quarts of oil, as you never know when
you  could get an oil leak. For tools, it's mostly the metric tools I
normally use on a VW, plus assorted screw drivers, as sometimes you need a  short
1, and other times it's a long one. If you have a AAA card,and a cell
phone, carry those too. ;-)

So far out of all the road trips to different Invasions over the  years,
I've used part of the gasket set (to help a fellow Invader), the  spare fuel
pump (when the 1 I was using became vapor locked), and some tools  to fix a
few things that I didn't before I left. :O On my last Invasion trip  (2012),
I did go thru 2 starters (used), but I can't complain, as I just got  that
car up and running a month or so prior. Other than those items,  I haven't
had to do much on a long trip. I feel part of that is from prepping  the car
as well as possible (making sure the front beam is greased, and the  upper
sway bar adjusted, oil changed, and the brakes working  correctly and
adjusted, and having good tires on the car) along with  making a couple of long
trips (an hour or so long) before leaving to go to an  Invasion. Some of the
stuff I carried came back home, and never got used  (which is fine with me),
but it's nice to know that IF you need an item, you  have it with you.
I'm sure others will chime in, as I know I'm not the only one who  carries
an assortment of stuff with me. I hope this helps.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction