[T3] FI heads with breather ports

Dave Pallo rdavid at rochester.rr.com
Sun Feb 2 11:55:29 PST 2014

FYI - for those of us ‘72-‘73 owners that need the breather port in the
heads; there is a work-around if you cannot locate (or afford) correct heads
with the breather ports.

These ports have a rubber hose connecting them to the air cleaner in order
to allow clean filtered air into the area underneath the valve covers. (VERY
important for our ’72-‘73 PCV equipped cars)

When we bought Elwood, it did not have an engine with the breather ports on
the heads, so this is what I did;

Measure the outside diameter of the ports on the air cleaner (where the port
hose connects), and buy steel pipe with similar outside diameter. You will
only need like about a ¾” – 1”  long piece of pipe for each valve cover.
Remove the valve covers, and weld this pipe to the upper – flywheel end –
outside corner of each valve cover, and then drill out the inside of the
pipes diameter all the way thru the valve cover. Now run new hoses from the
valve cover pipes to the air cleaner and you are done! The only downside is
this results in your valve covers to now be right and left side specific –
but that is NDB. Having the ports on the upper front corners of each valve
cover provides for easy access to run new hoses up to the air cleaner.

Dave Pallo

'72 Square ~ Elwood

Fairport, NY