[T3] rough idle at cold start up

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sun Feb 9 20:06:01 PST 2014

Got to take Clementine to a local car show yesterday for the first time here
is a photo standing in front with my oldest son and holding my grandson. Dad
was going to be in it but ran late.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201545844064197
<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201545844064197&set=t.1120060951&
type=1&theater> &set=t.1120060951&type=1&theater

We drove her with my wife and my youngest 2 sons about 50 miles high ways
county roads and down and back up our mountain. She ran like a champ. The
only thing about the running part has been going on since we got it going.
When you first crank it up cold it pufs out black to dark gray smoke Idles
rough then after about a minute it smooth's out and all is well. It was
worse when we first put it on the road but got a little better after the
engine reached over 100 miles. Then last week I done a 500 mile oil change
and valve adjustment after that the cold rough got back worse like it was
when with the first 100 miles. I've tested the aar by when it is cold and
just been cranked I take pliers and squeeze one of the hoses going from it
ti the intake and the engine just bogs down. Then I do it with it warmed up
at operating temperature and no change. I guess the aar is working but I
wonder if it is partly stopped up not letting enough air (but some) in. Has
anybody seen this? After the first minute or so it's all good. Maybe I'll
take a video and post it sometime this week to show what its doing.

Dennis Stiefel

72 Fastback FI MT

71 STD. Beetle

67 Ford F-100 (hart of Crown Vic)