[T3] Sputtering and Bogging Down

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 12:09:46 PDT 2014

Hi Dave,
The overflow hose wasn't messed up it just develops a crack  in the end as
the metal fuel filler pipe is torqued to the left every time I open the gas
cap to put my 4 gallons in. I ordered a new one together with another set
of inner rubber seals and replaced those last weekend. Now the whole thing
has been put back together as carefully as possible with new inner seals, a
new thick hose between fuel filler pipe and gas tank, I reinstalled the
rubber grommet that also holds the filler pipe in place against the frame,
and put my new over flow hose in place. I haven't replaced the collar
around the filler because the repro part as it costs $35 and just gets
ripped as I open the fuel cap and the pipe is torqued. Based on the fact
that when I disconnected my fuel line to replace my fuel filter and saw a
thick steady stream of fuel expelling I doubt there is much smutz in my
fuel sock. I'll get around to checking that later.

I moved back to the engine area because when it starts sputtering up hills
it almost sounds like the muffler's disconnected - something mechanical
accompanying the loss of power. I tried switching out an extra coil and
that made no difference. I also took a compression test to rule out the
bottom end and found satisfactory readings (#1 - 120, #2 - 107, #3 - 130,
#4 - 115). I did find one of my thermostat springs had broken off and
fallen into the spark plug inspection hole. I had to put two springs to
insure the flaps opened adequately when I was in there last time.

If you remember I had made a mark for myself to read if the flaps were
opening properly after warm up. I'm going to check that next by warming it
up and see if the one spring is still attached and the flaps are opening as
expected. I found the spark plugs to be a bit white on the electrode
fingers which I believe indication of lean or hot running.

next test will be filling up a glass quart jar and timing fuel output -
what time is within spec?

Also test if my flaps open as per the lines I made previous to guage that

also then buy some extra length of hose to run the fuel pressure guage
along the outside of the car to the drivers seat so I can monitor fuel
pressure as I test drive and put it under load.

Thanks,
Chris

p.s. Jim I saw that your overflow kit actually contains an overflow hose
that seems to account for the torquing issue. I guess I'll put that on
after this new one is hosed.