[T3] Muffler

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:06:21 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 2:30 PM, J. Jonik <j_jonik at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Still no luck finding a  '72 muffler.  But this situation will be a good
> test of the durability of Muffler Patch Kits.  So, far so good.
> I don't need tail pipe, damper pipe or those heat exchanger duct
> things...just the big tank part...the muffler.
> Those heat exchanger come off ok (in my experience) with a special flat
> wrench  and a hammer to whack it loose.  I have to borrow that wrench from
> a mechanic friend.
> Is it really the case that people with their super-restored cars hoard
> extra mufflers?  Or, where else do they get them?

I, also, have a '72 and I acquired my NOS muffler 15 years ago in
anticipation of the rebuild I finished this past year.  I agree that good
ones are hard to find.  I do not have any spares now and only have the OTT
exhaust I got from ISP West which I was using on my car before the
rebuild.  It worked and certainly beat the 4-tip monstrosity I had on there
previously, but I prefer the stock set up that I have now.

Good luck on your search.  Last year, I was able to find a complete engine
and transmission from a '72 T3 in a junkyard in East Palo Alto.  The
records indicated that the car had 90,000 miles on it and it still had the
heat exchangers (upper and lower), engine tin, and all FI components.  My
point of mentioning this is just to keep your eyes open because I never
thought I would have stumbled upon a set like that last year, practically
in my back yard too!  Sadly, the muffler, of all the components, from that
engine was damaged beyond repair.