[T3] Front and back emblem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 22 13:56:50 PDT 2015

On 22 Jun 2015 at 15:02, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> A good friend of mine who is into drag racing big block Chevys ask
> when I was restoring Clementine what kind of carburetor I was going
> with and said none I'm putting the original EFI on it. Then he said oh
> you mean that mechanical CIS that they used on rabbits in the 70s. I
> said no the original electronic fuel injection system. He said that
> technology didn't exist in 72 when you car was new. I then show him
> the ECU all the sensors and wiring harness to prove him wrong.

I hope you also explained that we got it starting way back in '68
(which happened in the fall of '67.) This was a real breakthrough for
VW and Bosch: the very first mass produced electronic fuel injected
cars ever made. We're the Granddaddys of all of today's modern cars.

I'm always surprised that VW agreed to do it. I'd have expected this
to show up first in some smaller production, much higher cost, luxury
or high performance car, like something from Mercedes or Porsche.

I'd love to know what went on in the corporate boardrooms of VW and
Bosch during those times. I suspect there were heated discussions and
lots of concern about warrantee problems. I also wonder when Bosch
actually started their development of this system. Something like
this doesn't spring to life overnight.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org