[T3] Trouble home from Bugorama

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 10:22:52 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Dave Hall <dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk> wrote:

> The photos of the plugs as well as the deposits in the heads show just how
> rich it was running - even the least sooty no. 1 is over-rich not the pale
> colour it should be. Obviously with a sick engine, it wasn't running well,
> but there's more wrong than just the burnt valve.
>
> What plug gap do you use?  The ones I can see look wider than I would
> expect.  The old photos (eg no. 23) taken before engine rebuild show much
> more suitable colour on the plugs.

I have my notebook at home (I'm at work now), but I am confident that I
used whatever plug gap is specified in the Brown Bentley book for our
cars.  I certainly agree that the plugs and valves do not look good.

Aside from my engine's poor running on its final two days (to/from
Sacramento), it otherwise ran strong and sounded great.  Although, that is
probably true of even the sloppiest engine builds after < 1000 miles.