[T3] 2020 Type 3 Invasion!

Larry Thrasher larryt3162 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 25 06:18:36 PDT 2019

We're in north Arkansas...

The bull is off the nickel

  On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 7:57 AM, Jim Adney<jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:   On 24 Jun 2019 at 14:09, larryt3162 at yahoo.com wrote:

> I have some questions for those on the eastern side of the continent that
> are planning on attending. 1. Are you planning on driving your type 3 or
> will you be towing/trailering it? 2. If driving it, about how many days,
> each way, would you allocate? 3. Would you plan on doing any in-trip
> maintenance? (oil change, ignition/valve adjustments) 4. What would be
> your must-carry spares and tools?
>
> My rough guess is about 7-9 days, each way, without allowing for many/any
> significant side trips/delays.

Traveling together, in a bit of a caravan, is the way to go. It makes the trip
much more fun, as well as providing assurance that any problem you have
can be solved by someone. You'll have lots of help and there are always lots
of tools and spare parts.

Minor repairs, like valve adjustments and tuneup checks, are common, and
semi-major repairs sometime delay us for a few hours, but I don't think we've
ever had to leave a car or owner behind. Nevertheless, it's important to get a
few long trips on your odometer before trying one of these extended trips.

How many days depends on where you start from. Keith comes from upstate
NY; John & Jill (and possibly Bob & Sue) come from the Detroit area, and I'm
in southern Wisconsin. We will likely to be the core of the northern caravan,
but we always hope to pick up more on the way. There are likely to be other
caravans, coming from different parts of the country. Some people may opt
to fly and leave their cars at home.

Where are YOU located?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

If you need more help, contact: gregm at vwtype3.org