[T3] Stupid question #395 Oil change time?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 31 06:54:31 PDT 2019

On 30 May 2019 at 11:08, William Jahn wrote:

> My only fear is going to a SAE 30 rather than a SAE 40. Reason is SEA 40
> is what I always used

There's no need to stick with something simply because that's what you've
always done.

> Bentley does put SAE 30 and SAE 40 in the tropical range class. I need
> to locate the Lucas additive somewhere my thinking is since Valvoline
> does have 830 ppm that's better than none.

The question for you is: What's the highest ambient temp your car is ever
likely to be driven in, and what is the lowest temperature? I suspect the high
number is somewhere between 100 and 110 F while the low number will be
well above 30 F. In that case, you're perfect for a straight SAE 30, or maybe
40. If that comes with 830 ppm of ZDDP, add 1 oz of the Lucas additive and
you're set.

I added a bit of the Lucas to my '73 Square this afternoon, and I'll add 2
oz more in a couple days. That will give an initial boost to make up for
missing this for several years.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org