[T3] New Distributor Same Results, 034

Craigs List craigslistcsprings at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 09:05:42 PDT 2014

"You MUST pull your vacuum off of the body off the left (3 & 4) Dellorto
carburetor. This is the only vacuum port that will give you a clean signal
and the only one Dellorto designed for the task. (Some Dells did not come
with a vacuum port, so it may need to be tapped, which is a simple matter)."

It is tapped on #4 for vacuum. The signal was all over the place under load.

"At idle (850-900 RPM), you will see nominal to no effect on the vacuum
can's advance as you described. The vacuum advance should only operate
under load, as the engine lugs and requires more fuel."

This is my understanding too.

"The 034 SVDA functions almost exactly the same as a mechanical advance only
distributor (009) until the motor needs more advance during load. This is
why the 034 is timed at 7.5 degrees BTDC with the vacuum port disconnected
from the carburetor and plugged."

Because of the fact that I am not using the vacuum advance, that is why we
wound the engine up and sweet the total advance at 35* and let the bottom
end fall where it wants.

If I get to a point that I can use the can, I will time it by the 7.5* at
idle.

"Make sure your vacuum can is operating properly by sucking on the end. If
it moves, it is good. If it does not or just barely moves, it needs to be
replaced."

Checked and working.

"I would check and re-check that one of your carbs isn't plugged by debris
before going any further. The stumbling off idle is a pretty common
indication of some grit plugging up one the idle air ports in the
carburetor. As you know Dellortos are pretty easily fouled up. If you have
not already, consider installing a set of CB Performance tall idle air
intake ports to keep grit from falling into the idle air ports."

I will check again for a clog or debris, but this exact issue has happened
now over 2 different sets of Dells. I am starting to grow weary that the
problem is in the carbs. I will check again though.

"Also, not having the linkage perfectly synced will also cause the symptoms
you describe."

This was addressed yesterday. We are good to go on that front now.

"I would leave the 009 off your motor until you are 100% sure it isn't a
plugged carb."

The 009 is easier to set the timing on because of less crap being in the
way. That is the only reason I was thinking of throwing it on. The 034 that
is on now throws 20* of mechanical advance. I think the 009 may throw a
little more. That was another reason to consider.

"If all else fails I would contact John Connoly or one of his racing gurus
at aircooled.net He will be able to give you a definitive answer on what
may be going on. He endorses the SVDA and Dellorto combo and has come
across far more scenarios than I."

I have talked to him about jetting in teh past. I may shoot him a quick
email and see what he says.