[T3] Since I replaced the runner boots and all vacuum lines noticed

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jun 8 07:01:51 PDT 2019

On 7 Jun 2019 at 19:11, William Jahn wrote:

> I imagine most people who own these older cars have the
> original sub frame mounts and even engine and trans mounts.

:Yes, the rubber mounts, especially the rear subframe bushings, have all
gotten hard over time, especially on those cars which have lived in hot
climates. My '69 came from SoCal and its rubber bits are particularly hard.
I've replaced a number of them that were cracked and easy to get to, but a
lot of them are still the originals.

That car rattles a lot when stopped in Drive, so I generally shift into N if I'm
going to be stopped for long.

I never had an AT car when they were new, so I don't know if this is entirely
due to age or if this is just the way they always were. We need to keep in
mind that vibration isolation engineering in cars has come a LONG ways in
50 years. I wouldn't be surprised if VW didn't think much about it back in
1960, when these cars were designed, and when they came up with the the
AT, I'd be surprised if anyone gave a second thought to the possibility that
AT vibration was any different from MT.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org